Hello, Academic Writing I (AW1) students. Marc Sheffner here, your instructor for this semester. Friday 8th May will be our first “class”. This will be the first time for all of us to meet online using Microsoft Teams.
You can contact me by leaving a message for me here on Teams, or by emailing me, Marc Sheffner or leaving a comment here on this blog.
Rules for our online classes on Teams:
1) before you join the class on Friday May 8th at 2:30 pm, please mute your mic and turn your video off. When I see that you want to join, I will let you into the “classroom”.
2) KPU has asked all teachers NOT to use video, so you will only hear my voice, no picture.
3) We will communicate by voice and by the chat window.
4) When you want to speak, first unmute your mic, then say your name and speak.
5) Or you can write in the chat window.
6) I will use the chat window to send you text information, e.g. URLs and documents.
7) There will be a live meeting (class) every Friday 2:30 – 4 p.m. Please login at that time.
8) Except for the first time (May 8th), you will be expected to have done the assignments BEFORE class.
9) Deadline for assignments is Wednesday midnight.
Today’s May 8th class
We will not be using the textbook today (Writers at Work: the Essay, by Dorothy Zemack. Amazon link: http://amzn.to/1k9wzGd
1) Self-introduction by Sheffner
2) Self-introduction by each student using a) voice, then b) chat window
3) Explanation of some Teams functions (survey, calendar, etc)
4) Explanation and discussion about WebDisk – how to access Sheffner’s folder, how to download Sheffner’s documents and upload your homework assignments.
5) Explanation of class blog . You can use this as a backup to Teams and WebDisk for downloading files and communicating with me.
6) Explanation of assignments #1 and #2.
What is the meaning of “academic”? Where does this word come from and what was the original meaning? Please write your answer in a comment below. Thank you.
Update: Some students posted their comments on a different page. You can see them here: http://www.sheffnersweb.net/blogs/classblogs/kpu/about-page/
See the presentations below about Academic Writing. There are questions to answer at the end of each one. Write your answers to each presentation before looking at the next one. The 3 presentations will be posted on Webdisk and here on the blog after 4 pm today. Write your answers to the 3 presentation questions in ONE document, save your document as “AW1_Hmwk1_YourName” (replace “YourName” with your full name), and attach it to an email. The subject ( 件名) of the email should be the same as your document.
Please see this image for details of correct email format: https://www.sheffnersweb.net/blogs/classblogs/kpu/email-format/
In your email, please introduce yourself briefly and answer these questions:
- Do you have the textbook?
- What kind of device are you using to connect to Teams?
- Tell me something or somethings that you are not able to do now because of the state of emergency and corona virus pandemic.
- Tell me something new you have done recently.