Write your final draft, save it as “AW2 Essay4 Final Lastname” (use the same for the subject of your email) and email it to me by Friday Dec. 6th. No need to print out or bring to class.
- Citation MLA style.
- Notice how Japanese books and articles are cited (with titles given in Japanese but in Roman characters.)
- Notice how articles which have no author (or where the author is unknown) are cited.
- worksheet.Completed worksheet is here:
- Notice how citations are done in this model essay (notice how the in-text citations refer to the “works cited” section).
- Counter-arguments. Read this extract from a popular Japanese manga. How does this relate to academic essay writing? What did you learn about the importance of counter-arguments from reading this extract?
- Successful advertisements and academic essays need objective, factual information (e.g. “1 km from the station” or “5 minutes’ walk from bus-stop”) not subjective impressions such as “convenient” or “close”.
- Successful advertisements and academic essays need objective facts about both good and bad points. These make the advertisement (and essay) more persuasive because they suggest impartiality and let the reader judge whether this is good or bad, positive or negative.
- Here is the MLA guideline for a multivolume work (which “Angel Bank” is) (from the Purdue University Online Writing Lab).
- A Multivolume Work
- When citing only one volume of a multivolume work, include the volume number after the work’s title, or after the work’s editor or translator.
- Quintilian. Institutio Oratoria. Translated by H. E. Butler, vol. 2, Loeb-Harvard UP, 1980.
- Using the biographic information below, write a citation for this manga using the MLA style.
- Angel Bank (but you must write the title in Japanese)
- Norifusa Mita
- Volume 5
Your email address is not made public. Thank you for visiting.