- Re-read the essays handed out in class today (you can download them below).
- Watch the videos about citations and references if you have not yet done so.
- Re-write your draft #3, save as “AW2 Essay4 Draft4 LastName” (without the ” of course”), and send it to me by email. The email should have the same subject line “AW2 Essay4 Draft4 LastName”.
- Print it out and bring to class next week.
- NEW! Checklist for your draft #4:
- Does your title and thesis statement clearly show your position on the topic?
- Do you have a clear thesis statement?
- Have you done some research and found at least two articles or websites – one that supports your position and one that supports the opposite opinion?
- Have you listed both articles in your “Works Cited” section and referred to them in the body of your essay (in-text citation)?
- Have you used the correct (MLA) format for each one? See this model MLA-style essay for examples. [wpdm_package id=’1824′]
- Have you included counter-arguments? WITHOUT A COUNTER-ARGUMENT, AND WITHOUT CITATIONS, YOUR ESSAY IS NOT AN ACADEMIC ESSAY, IT’S JUST AN OPINION PIECE (意見記事)
- Have you avoided rhetorical questions? (E.g. “Do you like to read books?”)
- Have you avoided using subjective expressions? (E.g., “I think the 2020 Olympics will be good for Japan.”
- Have you included objective facts as evidence to support your claims (position and opinions)?
- Have you included references for all these pieces of evidence (i.e. have you cited all your sources)?
- Does your conclusion restate your position and summarize your main points?
- Brief discussion of citations and references (see last week’s homework)
- Wrong logic [wpdm_package id=’1830′]
- In small groups, discuss the key main points of the following essays (click the titles below to download the essay)
- Tips on How to Write an Argumentative Essay [wpdm_package id=’1808′]
- 5 Steps to Writing a Position Paper [wpdm_package id=’1810′]
- Refutation [wpdm_package id=’1812′]
- Usage and Examples of a Rebuttal [wpdm_package id=’1814′]
- An Introduction to Academic Writing (essay + discussion questions) [wpdm_package id=’1816′]
website for Sheffner's Academic Writing class at Kyoto Prefectural University, Japan. Since 2012.