Assignment #3: how the pandemic and state of emergency has affected and will affect your life
- your ability to organize your thoughts logically,
- your ability to consider your audience (what background information might they need to know? What would be interesting or informative for them?) Your audience is English speaking and university-educated.
- your understanding of academic format: indented paragraphs, one topic per paragraph, no contractions (“don’t, can’t” etc); do not begin sentences with “and, but” or “because”; use the same font throughout; and use the spellchecking and grammar-checking functions of your software program.
In your first assignment, you answered the following questions:
- Tell me something or somethings that you are not able to do now because of the state of emergency and corona virus pandemic.
- Tell me something new you have done recently which you might not have done were if not for the pandemic.
In today’s class, you read that this crisis is an opportunity to shape a different future. After reading the document on Webdisk entitled AW1 Classwork May 29.pdf, what do you think? Do you agree or disagree? What are your thoughts about the future? How will the pandemic and the state of emergency shape your future and that of your community, your country, the world? Will classes resume in September? Will some people prefer to study online only? “What kind of a world do you want to live in?”
Your answers to the two questions and your response to the text in the document will naturally create three paragraphs. However, you may increase or decrease that number depending on your content. (For example, you might want to have one paragraph about your thoughts about the future of you and your family, and a separate paragraph to write about Japan and the world.) Keep different topics in separate paragraphs.
- Save your document with this name: AW1_Hmwk3_Name (replace “Name” with your family name). Upload it to the same Webdisk folder as last week “AW1 Upload folder to submit homework” or email it to me @sheffnersweb.net
- Use a 12-point LATIN font ONLY (no Chinese characters anywhere) such as Century or Times New Roman. Do not use a Japanese font.
- Use the same font throughout.
- 200-400 words
- Due date:
- Upload your writing to WebDisk by next Wednesday, June 3rd, 23:55.
- If at all possible, use Microsoft Word and upload your document as a Word document (*.doc or *.docx) rather than a PDF because it is more difficult for me to edit a PDF.
- If you are not using Microsoft Word, please save your document as an RTF file (*.rtf)
- If you cannot type or use a word-processor for some reason, you may write by hand, then take a picture of your writing and upload the pictures as a PDF or an image (JPG or PNG).
In today’s class, students
- discussed in small groups their answers to two of the homework 1 questions (“what cannot you do now because of the pandemic and what new thing are you doing or have you done because of the pandemic”) and also discussed the idea that this pandemic may be a good time to think about what kind of world we human beings want to live in. What kind of world do you want to live in? Do you think this is a good opportunity to consider this? Do you want things to go “back to normal”?
- read the sample essay “Life Lessons from School” on pages 15-16.
- discussed in small groups the questions and answers to “Practice 1” on pages 16-17.
- read section D on p. 17 about selecting a topic.
Your email address is not made public. Thank you for visiting.