- Write a second draft response to one of the two essays in the Appendix to the textbook pp. 162-165. (Unless you have a good reason, I strongly suggest you keep to the same essay you wrote about in your first draft.)
- A “response essay” is NOT a 感想文.
- You need to take a position (for or against),
- summarize the article’s main points and give your response to each,
- provide objective facts as evidence to support your reasons why you agree (or disagree).
- Bring it to class next Friday (Nov. 27th).
- If you did not finish today’s classwork (see below) during class time, please finish for homework.
- Hand in your first draft of your “Response essay”.
- Read the sample academic reading #5 “False Flag operations“, and answer the questions:
- What is a “false flag” operation? Explain in your own words.
- Explain how a false flag operation uses ” the guise of fighting a foreign enemy”.
- What started the Spanish-American war of 1898? Why does the author refer to this as an intelligence “failure” (with qutoation marks)?
- What other incidents might be called false flag operations?
- read page 118 D
- page 120 E and practice 5
- page 121 F and practice 6