Email problems have been fixed. Apologies for the inconvenience.
Update: New essay titles have been added to the list. See below.
Homework (for May 11th)
- Email me your outline for your essay #1 (Explanatory essay)
- For my contact details, see the handout from week 1
- Write draft #1 of Essay #1 and bring it to the May 11th class.
Start with a research question
e,g, what are academic skills?
- what is academic writing?
Define your terms,
e.g original meaning of “academic”
history of academic writing – where does it come from
Observations (what you saw/read with your own eyes)
objective facts (dates and names of people, places, etc)
make careful notes of what you find
Decide your answer (conclusion) to your research question
present / publish your answer (conclusion, findings, research results) including your facts which support your conclusion.
get feedback from audience (listeners & readers) so that you can
correct your language (grammar)
correct your thinking (logic)
improve your communication to make it more effective
- Sample corrected student essay “I collect women” – grammar errors highlighted
- Sample student essay re-written
- Sample student essay “How I got to be interested in reading a book”
- What academic writing guidelines did she follow or not follow?
- Textbook p. 16 Practice 1
- Textbook p. 21 “The Thesis Statement”
- p. 19: choose a topic
- p. 26: write your outline
- Here are some of the titles of Explanatory essays written by Academic Writing I students in former years. Feel free to steal their ideas for your own essay. If you would like to read the original essay, please email me and I will send you a pdf.
- Year 3
- I collect Women
- How I got to be interested in reading a book
- My part-time jobs
- My part-time job
- The Reason Why I Like Public Baths
- Traveling with My Family
- One of my hobbies: Cooking
- -My Life With Crutch
- What I felt in Gunkanjima
- My part-time job at Matsumoto Kiyoshi
- The driving school
- My Respectable Family
- My favorite artist
- My memory of last summer vacation
- My accomplishment: Electronic organ lessons
- What is a tradition
- Twitter addiction
- Year 4
- My school excursion in Singapore
- Saikyo Zensen has changed me
- Recommendation to drink tea
- Why People in Japan Like twitter?
- Is Bicycle Just a Tool?
- My English Life
- About my favorite dance
- Why I am studying European and American culture and language
- The True Thing Studying Abroad Made Me Realize
- How to cool down in Japan
- Most important things in life
- The point that I changed
- The words of a blind man
- A person who influenced me
- An event that changed my life
- Gift my teacher gave me
- What fencing gives you
- Do you know the mandolin?
- I graduate from oneself weak
- Always a mother affects a daughter
- “Ohigan” is a Japanese custom
- Abhorrent Handball
- How I got interested in my hobby
- What Pinocchio says
- Beyond Mathematics
- A connection when I got interested in sewing
- About Benjamin Franklin
- A great teacher in my schooldays
- Lego Bricks
- Let’s Play Musical Instruments
- Brass band’s effect: an event that changed my life
- A person who influenced me: Shinsaku Takasugi
- A great pleasure with pain
- How I got interested in dancing
- The happiness of my family
- My grandmother’s diary
- Why I am studying Public Policy
- Year 3
Your email address is not made public. Thank you for visiting.